Thread: Licensed Simoun
View Single Post
Old 2008-04-13, 17:27   Link #2786
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
In anime, characters can be emotional. Most of us like it when there's emotional conflict in the anime. However, when the anime character comes to the point where his/her emotions prevent her from doing stuff and degrades her character to nothing but a stupid helpless useless character and if this helplessness, uselessness and stupidity occurs for a couple of episodes to the point where the viewers are just annoyed, that character becomes emo.
So anime characters are supposed to be some quasi-humans who cannot fully express emotions? I respectfully disagree. Emotions preventing characters from "doing stuff" can and often is quite critical from achieving real dramatic effect. For example Fllay fom Gundam SEED is hated by many, many viewers and you could say she is quite useless compared to the rest of the characters there and annoying to boot but objectively speaking she is among the msot developed and fully fleshed out characters in the series. Now, expressing strong emotions can very easily backfire and I have no problem with you saying this is the case in Simoun (even though I don't agree at all) but just because certain characters seems useless and their actions repetitive that doesn't make them emo. Maybe it makes the scriptwriter look bad for emphasizing Neviril's grief too much but whether we see it in every episode or know she is mourning in her room without actually seeeing her, doesn't make any difference in her "emo level", does it?

Quote:
The twin sister was also emo. WTF! Why did she have to go out of the simoun just to find her sister in the enemy ship? She could have just waited. Stupid and annoying! We all knew that was going to lead to disaster. All I could think about was stupid stupid stupid stupid... jump stupid jump.... wth, jump idiot.... then the enemy pointed a gun at them and I'm like ugh what an idiot. She still didn't jump because her sister was below. When they are back, I'm like, she almost died trying to find her sister, when she found her, she didn't want to be near her then at the simoun ship, she doesn't want to talk to her or do anything with her. WTH!?!
Really strong emotions usually lead to actions that are anything but rational, you know. But they can be justified to the viewer if the mental state of the characters is presented well and I think Simoun achieves that brilliantly. Throughout the episode you could see Kaimu was virtually out of her mind because of having to fly with her sister (and the reason for that being incest and all), so I am kind of baffled why would anyone be surprised she acted in a very stupid fashion. And as mentioned the Kaimu-Arti situation is explained and developed later on anyway.

Quote:
Maybe you should watch the anime again. They have always been at war. So that carefree life you are talking about doesn't exist.
You should watch it again - Simulacrum has not been always at war with its neighbours, the characters often talk of the time they had been just priestess, not fighters-priestesses. Assuming they have become Sybillae a few years before the start of the series, the war has been going on for maximum two-three years. And prior to the start of the series it had barely been a war as not a single Simoun had been shot down. So think again whether killing two of her comrades, departure of other three (IIRC) and the death of her partner and lover Amuria would not be an extremely traumatic event.

And killing people from upclose is vastly different from just blowing their aircraft to pieces, seeing the enemy pilot's face also served to worsen Neviril's emotional state. For instance, there is a brilliant scene in All Quiet on the Western Front in which the main character is trapped in a trench with an enemy soldier, kills him to save his life and ends up, according to your standard, being totally emo for a while, despite being way more battle hardened than Neviril and having killed his fair share of enemies before that occured.

Quote:
you getting annoyed by the pink blowup doll's emotional state merely illustrates your lack of grasp of the themes commanded by that character. first, you have to understand how her people in simoun have always lived, and why this sudden death of her lover in a thing called war can be shocking. imagine if you have always lived without any threats to your way of life and your entire world is made of interactions between similarly privileged and unconcerned people. it is precisely important to have pinky be overly emotional, because her being overemotional over this incident illustrates her previous state of mind. further, the privileged and airy life she has always lead is itself permissive of being emo. to get her out of the emo state it is necessary to not only change her own state of mind but to narrate a change in the whole culture itself. this takes some time to do.
Extremely well put (as was your initial post in this thread).

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote