Thread: Licensed Gunslinger Girl discussion
View Single Post
Old 2003-11-19, 00:13   Link #83
Relentless
Certifiably insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocariSweat
Ok, so one guy decided to do it all on his lonesome - does that make it any less exploitative? It's a show where you wind up hating almost everybody - I can only hope the kids turn on their "benefactors" one of these days.

I know the show wants to make Henrietta's "handler" out to be a nice guy, but phooey I say. Despite playing up his regrets and the kindness he tries to show Henrietta, he's still as much of a bastard as the rest for using the girls to begin with. Making him out to be a good guy is kind of like being the "kind hearted serial rapist" - it just doesn't work.
I agree it's disturbing that young girls are used as killers in GSG, but maybe there's a reason and not pure shock value for marketing purposes. Maybe the author is trying to make a point. What point? With only four episodes, it's too early to tell, but so far, this series is not exploitative; it's a serious, tragic, dramatic story. Is it legitimate to use young girls? We might get into an endless debate about the use of violence in popular entertainment. So far, it has not advocated or condoned violence either commited against children or performed by children. The girls have suffered from violence yet they deal out even more violence, but the series doesn't shirk from acknowledging there's a terrible price to pay. It has not played the "violence/ destruction/ revenge/ murder=cool" angle like in mere action flicks. They use the children to stress the message, like in "Now and then here and there" and not because the audience should get a kick out of it.

I also think *all* the creeps who work in that corporation should be gassed, but you can't deny that Jose and Hilsher sincerely care for Henrietta and Triela. It raises an interesting point: are Jose and Hilsher better than Jan because they're nice to their charges? All of them order their "sisters" to commit terrible acts. Maybe Jan is the less hypocrit of all, treating Rico like a tool, which is the way the other two end up using the girls, teddy bears and stargazing notwithstanding.
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote