View Single Post
Old 2012-05-08, 20:11   Link #38
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

So what is a hondaratta? I did a little Google searching and found this. From the song I thought they might be singing about riding a Honda scooter. Am i right?

I felt sorry for the Yamazakis; they seem like honorable people who were taken advantage of, though it did seem like the scammer was facing a difficult future. I thought the line about it being better to be cheated than to be a cheat was poignant.

I do wish the father was a more nuanced character, though. He's a bit less explosive than in the early episodes, but still not an especially likeable father. Despite his problems he shouldn't be hitting Kouhei over something like a mother's complaint about her boy being trained too hard. Glad to see Kouhei got a nice, and unexpected, present for Children's Day. (We have a Children's Day in the US, too. I remember seeing it on the calendar in our house growing up. Whenever I'd point out that it was coming up, my mother would say "every day is children's day." I never got a present on Children's Day either!)

You know that the father will not be happy about Yuuko-san having a romantic encounter in the next episode, but good for her! Speaking as a father I could never understand that point of view; I'd much prefer my daughter to be happy and in love. The manga-ka seems to have a serious crush, too. I hope it remains an unrequited yearning for everyone's sake.

The grandmother has been a bitch from the moment she first appeared in the story. Most of the time the oba-san character is a nice elderly woman who's very generous toward her grandchildren. This one is a terror.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote