View Single Post
Old 2012-12-16, 14:00   Link #139
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elestia View Post
I can accept that she couldn't recognize the reality of her father's death, thus the whole Ethereal Horizon pitch from Rikka. But her speech throughout the entire series implies she is very aware of the situation around her. How she interacts with others also show that she is more anchored to reality than people really allude to.

Others have already pointed out that Rikka's imaginations doesn't interfere with her regular school life. Nor have there been any hints or clues that points to past incidents where her behavior has gotten her into serious trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
[In an interview]
Ishihara: I paid attention to keep the chuunibyou theme and to illustrate the comedic elements. Having experienced it myself, I have some pretty embarrassing chuunibyou moments. (laughs) If I tried to portray that element seriously, this story would cross over to become darker, so I tried to portray it more comically by making the chuunibyou moments humorous.
I believe this is why we never see Rikka got in trouble because of her chuunibyou--the staff intentionally avoid showing those. I vaguely remember that they even brought up something about trying to make Rikka's classmate tolerate her behaviors more than usual. I cannot find the source though so I might be mistaken. Even if we ignore or decide that Ishihara comment doesn't apply, I think the fact that she has trouble making friends before meeting Yuuta also said a lot about her trouble. Not to mention that every flashback of Yuuta and Nibutani chuunibyou-day is portrayed as very lonely.

I agree with you that her interaction, especially in the first half of the series, show that she is just having fun. But it's different when it directly involve her father. She comes out to me as "clinging" to her imagination rather than playing with it in some situations, which is dangerous IMO. Problem is, the "situations" included anything involving her family. And she cannot avoid her family, especially now that she'll live with her mother.

My opinion is that chuuni-Rikka is fine. It is what defined her character, both in-universe and as an anime character. However, right now she is using it to avoid accepting her father's death and it is pushing her toward being truly delusional. She can has her fantasy back when she dealt with that issue. And consider everything, I agree with almost everyone here that it is practically guaranteed that she will have it back next episode. What I'm looking forward to see is "how".