Thread: Licensed Hellsing Ultimate OVA
View Single Post
Old 2006-01-24, 19:02   Link #16
Snoop'

Seriously, am I the only one to have been HUGELY DISAPPOINTED by this thing ?

I have watched the Gonzo series, I have read the manga (in Japanese), and what I see is that the new OVA series stays extremely close to the original manga, which is IMO a bad move as the first volumes of Hellsing are awkward : rushed tempo, overly theatrical lines, etc.
I mean, something that might look cool in a manga is just ridiculous when put into animation... The "yessss master, my master" line is a perfect example. That was ludicrous. Everything, especially Andersen, was sooooooo overdone. The ghouls and the vampire were gross, Alucard had a psychopath face, same goes for Walter and Andersen...

And most of all, I can't stress enough the loss of Ishii, who composed an awesome OST for the previous series. Here we have some generic film music, badly used direction-wise IMO, and this takes away all the coolness of Hellsing. The show now looks, how should I put it, too formatted for the US market...
No, really, they should have kept the composer, and Gonzo too, because even though they sucked for the series, their sense of style is unsurpassed.

Well well, I guess I'll get used to the new Hellsing, but for the moment being, the only thing I can say is : it sucks.
Snoop' is offline   Reply With Quote