View Single Post
Old 2007-12-22, 17:10   Link #87
Blackbeard D. Kuma

A very well written post there james3wk. A lot of the things you mention about Luffy (momentum being his greatest strength) are certainly plausible explanations as to how he would be able to defeat Blackbeard. But I am almost certain that we have yet to see the full extent of Blackbeard's abilities. Blackbeard is a man who was strong enough to scar Shanks, one of the four emperors, without a devil fruit ability. I am very intrigued as to how exactly he managed to give Shanks three cuts over his eye. It is very probable that he used a weapon to inflict such a wound, but I think there is more to it than just that. Besides his devil fruit, I think he probably fights in a way that is not conventional. I don't think that he is simply your average typical brawler. When Blackbeard fought with Ace, Blackbeard was clearly holding back because he still wanted to keep Ace in a stable enough condition so that he could accept his proposition to join his crew. Because of this situation, Blackbeard fought very defensively. If you meticulously examine that fight carefully, you will notice that Blackbeard remained stationary throughout the whole fight until the very end when he challenged Ace's solar emperor move (correct me on this attack name if I am wrong). Moreover, in every instance where Blackbeard's gravity vortex sucked in Ace, the fire logia's ability was nullified upon physical contact with Blackbeard. This had an adverse effect on Ace in which he became a regular strong human with no momentum properties that Luffy has whatsoever. In essence, close direct hits from Blackbeard were a good way of fending off Ace's assaults.

Now if Blackbeard is to fight Luffy (most likely an inevitable event), I think he would take a different approach as to how he would combat Luffy. It is evident that Blackbeard is no ignorant fool when it comes to being knowledgeable on different devil fruit abilities. After all, he even researched the exact devil fruit he wanted by studying the book and consequently knew all of the advantages and drawbacks of many other fruits. Having said this, Blackbeard would probably know how Luffy's devil fruit works and how its "momentum" could prove to be a lethal weapon to him. Upon using his gravity vortex, I don't think he would want to stand there and take that risk of receiving a very damaging blow from Luffy in exchange for hitting Luffy as well. On the contrary, I think he would take a more offensive approach against paramecia users in general. My reasoning for this strategy is because it is feasible for Blackbeard to actually hit paramecia users by normal means without having to grab hold of them. Also, we have yet to see Blackbeard use his darkness powers in more creative and innovative ways. For all we know, it is possible that Blackbeard could use his gravity powers to propel himself so rapidly towards his opponents and use that "momentum" against them. This is all speculation on my part. I am not trying to refute anything you are saying. I just think that Blackbeard would fight differently against paramecia, logia, and zoan fruit users.

Also james3wk, Bellamy can be considered a "momentum" user as well with his spring spring fruit abilities. He used his spring sniper and spring hopper moves on Luffy off of houses, floors, etc. It was the recoil from these different contact surfaces that gave him that momentum.
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote