View Single Post
Old 2009-08-26, 09:49   Link #3113
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059 View Post
This is true, there is a product that we had at my house called the mosquito magnet and all it does is turn propane into CO2 and catch mosquitoes in a trap inside. It works incredibly well. The dry ice would also work, they wouldn't necessarily land on the dry ice but they would certainly fly around in the CO2 above it.

The reasons why mosquitoes don't chase after cars is because cars are a lot faster than mosquitoes.
I'm still very doubtful of this. Burning propane generates heat, and if the burning can be kept to around the temperature that the human body (or other animal) emits, then a mosquito might really be fooled into thinking that there's an animal there.

Cars are faster than mosquitoes, but leave a car running (without going anywhere, just let it sit) and see if groups of mosquitoes swarm around the tailpipe. I've never seen such a thing.

And that makes sense. Nature rarely makes things too one-sided. If mosquitoes were drawn to carbon dioxide and that's it, no other factors came into play, then you'd see loads of mosquitoes flying into fires, volcanoes, and other sources of carbon dioxide. And in cities, where there are a lot of cars and industrial processes releasing carbon dioxide, people would be virtually immune because their own carbon dioxide output would be incredibly tiny compared to those from other processes. Yet people still occasionally get mosquito bites in cities.