Thread: Licensed Avenger Discussion
View Single Post
Old 2004-02-04, 13:37   Link #90
walkerboh

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxguru
Which fansub did you watch? Anime Source has it like this:

"Layla Ashley, it's all thanks to you. Children could no longer be born in the Domes. But then Nei came, born to Barbaroi parents. This child is like a ray of hope to us. And that hope has just been realized. The proof that humans who have lost Earth can still take root on this red planet."

That makes a lot more sense and from what I can make out it's a more accurate translation than some other fansubs. Westa isn't blaming Layla for the lack of children, she's saying that Nei survived because of her. Nei is proof that there is both life and a future outside of Domes.

I watched the Anime-Source fansub and was mostly happy with it, but the sentence Westa says about Nei, something like "Nei has secretly been observing our society, until now" really confused the heck out of me. When I watched the CG fansub it was translated differently, something like "Nei hasn't chosen a gender, until now".

In either case I'm a bit confused as to why Layla asks Nei "Is that correct?" and then both cry and Layla rejects Nei and leaves... Did Nei choose to be Male and that maybe meant Layla was no longer needed to protect him?

About the red moon, I also got the impression there were people on it. At least the spaceship Layla was on _came_ from the moon so there must've been people there then... But maybe that spaceship was the _last_ of the people on the moon because it became unlivable?!

About the tags on the cross - I sure hope she just dropped it there and kept going, maybe as the symoblic death she's been wishing for the whole series.

All in all, great show.