View Single Post
Old 2006-03-08, 23:35   Link #238
idofgrahf

Send a message via MSN to idofgrahf
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife
I can vouch another argument in Shirou's behalf, regarding his protective behavior towards Saber in this war. One of the reasons the U.S. military was against having women in the front lines of combat, was because the added risk the males would go through, to protect women. Even though the women would generally have the ability to defend themselves and fight well, there was still the male's instinctive urge to protect a female. There were several other big reasons too, but that was one that stood out. Shirou isn't alone in his thinking, and I am willing to bet a very large percentage of men in the world would do actions similiar, though not all would be as extreme as Shirou to protect a woman from danger, whether she could defend herself or not.
A very outdated form of thinking considering that alot of countries allow female combatents in the form of foot soldiers, pilots, shock troops, warship captains etc. And no, I don't think a very large percentage of the men in the world think that way, at least most in china does not, (They excute the same amount of females for murder as males). Remmber that the Chivalry stuff only applies to the west and and Asia makes up for almost half of the worlds population. I would say there is something really wrong with you if you willingly jump in front of a two ton sword no matter want the circumstance is. I'm not bashing Shirou, at least he knows what he wants unlike so many other anime characters (damn indecisive, Manaka form Ichigo, Taka of KGNE etc) but really, if all you have is determination and idealism and no real power to force it upon others what good is your ideals? I mean you can try all you want (like Shirou) but with out power you are doomed to fail, determination could only get you so far after that it depends on you ability. For example I used to play semi professional badminton in China for my city in provential games. There are many others who has alot more determination to win then myself ( I was a really lazy bastard) but in the end I still won not because they lack determination but because they lack skill/ability, I was simply faster, taller and more skilled then they are. Same case with Shirou, he does not lack determination but the likes of Hercules or Rider is beyond his ability to win against in his current state yet he keeps on talking about protecting saber.

Lacan/Grahf
idofgrahf is offline   Reply With Quote