View Single Post
Old 2008-05-17, 16:43   Link #41
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

One problem I can see in creating developer interest is that anime viewers probably make up a very small fraction of the universe of mplayer users. Moreover most of those people are watching XviD in AVI files; a quick perusal of any non-anime torrent tracker shows that. So I can see why the mplayer developers probably think there are other things that require their limited resources before they get to ordered chapters in Matroska. Iit also seems like ordered chapters only have a substantial benefit in series programming, where there's repeated content from episode to episode. People watching one-off shows like movies won't be looking for support for ordered chapters either.

As long as this is used to split OP/EDs from episode content, I don't really care. If I want to watch the whole episode I'll just put the three pieces into my smplayer playlist. If we start seeing more fine-grained "chapterization" (to coin a term), say splitting the segments before and after the mid-program break into separate files, I'd find that annoying and unnecessary.

I understand how this might benefit encoders, and I understand the arguments in favor of reducing download sizes and disk storage, but I still don't see why this is being posed entirely as an either/or question. Why can't we have both chapters and complete episodes? From the discussions presented here, it doesn't sound like it's going to be particularly easy for the viewers to reassemble the files unless they're pretty handy with things like mkvtoolnix. Would it be that much more of a burden to distribute complete episodes as well?