fansub, where the translated episode is available days after airing,
there's really no reason for me _not_ to watch it."
(9/30/2000)

Another thread:
"Most of the encoded files floating
around the internet are based on those. Some of them are out less than a
week after the show is on TV!"
(9/29/2000)

Here is a really good page, with a database of fansubs and who released them.

Look particularly at the fansubs from 2000 and you'll get an idea of who was around back then.

Ayashi no Ceres: AnimeINC, AnimeDIVX, ABCBanime, Anime_Daisuki, Digital-fansubtitling Club (2000)
Candidate for Goddess: animefactory (2000)
Hand Maid May: Anime-Fansubs, High Quality Anime, Anime Help, Psychlo-Anime, Anime Coalition (2000)
Love Hina: Anime Fansubs, Anime-Heaven, Anime-Factory, OnAD, Nekomi Kodai Fansubs, HA (2000)

Of course, some of these were subbed into 2001, but gives you an idea of some of the older groups.

We really haven't progressed very far. People are still subbing shows a week or less after they air and the popular titles are still oversubbed.

Though there are really very few records of the digisubbing distribution going on back then... Even my memories are a bit fuzzy and I was there 3rd or 4th quarter 2000. People were downloading VHS captures since at least 1999, and Virtualdub/Divx/Subtitler were all available since 1999~2000... Surely there must be one of the pioneers among us... (I'm talking someone who was digisubbing in early-mid 2000 at least).

I'd love to hear more on this topic because that's where my memory runs out. ^^;

-Tofu

EDIT:

Also found this which has a post talking about a sub of FLCL by:

Translated by: LarryKun
Timed by: LarryKun, FireZs

Edited by: MDZ2, Oteck, FireZs
Aligned by: Oteck, FireZs

#Anime-Fansubs@Efnet
(post dated 8/16/2000)

There seems to be a discrepancy with the A-F website because this has them releasing it in 2001. Though it says they started Love Hina in June 2000...

I'd really like to hear about the scene before Love Hina started, and how those projects worked. I wouldn't be surprised if it had a lot to do with the korean fansub scene. I know some of the most influential groups at the start worked with Koreans who had access to HQ raws off of huge web servers and timed scripts (in korean) mere hours after it aired. This was the "dirty little secret" of the early digisubbing days, that many groups translated from korean scripts.

Last edited by Tofusensei; 2006-04-22 at 23:19.
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote