View Single Post
Old 2012-07-04, 07:45   Link #485
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post

The problem I have with this is that many newcomers to Muv-Luv who have experienced Total Eclipse first will associate the title Muv-Luv with what they've seen in Total Eclipse. It's all fine and dandy for people like me and you who know better, but I'm afraid that if an Extra anime comes around, there will be a lot of secondaries who will clamor "Where are my mecha? Where are my aliens and despair? THIS ISN'T MUV-LUV!!"
Well, due to your response to me, I made a point to talk to a friend briefly about Muv-Luv, and I also looked it up on Wiki. I was vaguely familiar with the term "Muv-Luv" and knew it was somehow related to anime. Apparently, it's only relation is being in every Japanese otaku entertainment form except anime. Until now, of course.

I made a point to avoid reading the Wiki summaries of various installments of Muv-Luv, and just focused on the sheer number of entries in the Muv-Luv Franchise, which is rather large.

I'm usually an anime-only guy. I've dabbled slightly in VNs and manga and light novels, but not to any really significant extent. So I'm sure for other anime-only guys and gals, this show here will obviously be their introduction to Muv-Luv.

Will we be potentially disappointed with a major genre shift for any other Muv-Luv anime? Sure, but that couldn't be helped. It's quite possible I'll have little to no interest in any other Muv-Luv anime shows, as I'm not that big on harem anime (at least not as a primary genre).

But I'm sure that for complaints like "This is not Muv-Luv!" just point people to Wiki, and show all the Muv-Luv properties that predate this anime, and I'm sure that most people will realize that this anime isn't necessarily the definitive Muv-Luv.

Heck, the title itself is a dead giveaway. Muv-Luv Alternative. Well, clearly then, it must be an alternative to some other Muv-Luv that came before it.