View Single Post
Old 2009-09-06, 08:12   Link #5
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
It is very dependent on the harem, the show, and how serious the show in question is. I would not call all of them jerks, because if a harem lead is not something, it's mean or testy. I think there are many other qualities that they follow. The words "ignorant" or "feminine" to me would work better.

I would actually say that in recent years, we haven't had too many cases where the harem lead was hesitant around other girls, because he was devoted to one. Most of them wouldn't notice about it, or would have all the girls on an equal level. The only harem anime I can think of that really did that was Tenchi Muyo. I think many of it is just due to the way that Japanese people view romance in public in the first place. They are mostly against it unless the couple is married. And by today's standards, women are becoming more and more independent when it comes to these things when men are acting less empowered

The only time I really hate harem leads, is when they are so incredibly ashamed of their own gender or punishment. The kind who believe that if they touch they're penis that they will explode under God's Wrath. Not to mention, that the girl who they choose in the end does somewhat speaks for their character.

And while some of them are just terrible, others are really good. Some good examples I can think of are Okazaki Tomoya from Clannad or Kyon from the Haruhi Series. (Who is a harem lead in the end)
Nukerjsr is offline   Reply With Quote