View Single Post
Old 2010-12-28, 20:37   Link #756
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelyanoob View Post
Episode 10 - Random thoughts
---
Last - Sheryl talks to Alto, but he asks after Ranka - a THIRD frown look from Sheryl
Reverse order: he's just asked after Ranka when she butted into the conversation, but you're right that it seemed to bother her.

I would like to point out, however, that (1) the show doesn't cover the time between the filming of "The Bird Human" and its release, and (2) that Sheryl, as Kawamori et al noted in the commentary, seemed to have resolved to accept Ranka as a (friendly) rival in the entertainment world by the time of the premiere.

Going by production schedules IRL, the missing time should amount to a few months at the very least. Did nothing of interest happen during those few months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Actually he had exact the copy-paste reaction as Shin had. Which makes it clear that he is acting, like the actor he is. He was genuinely shocked at Sheryl kissing him, that much is clear.
Remember however, the advice that "you have to become the role" which he gives to Ranka in this episode. I would say he's not 'acting', he's becoming the character, like the actor he is. The question is, can he separate this role from who he is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
I'm sorry, but that is just the interpretation from Yasaburo you are reciting. Altos real feelings on the subject aren't made clear in the series. The movie is another continuity.
Whilst I should probably rewatch that scene again first, I'd probably agree with Yasaburo, especially given what Kawamori says in this episode's commentary regarding the original source for Alto's advice.

「秘すれば花なり 秘せずは花なるべからず」
(hi sureba hana ni nari, hi sezu ha hana narubekarazu)
- basically is advice for the actor to be mysterious, to hide something from the audience, because that will give the audience room to use their imagination to figure out a character's motivations by themselves. In doing so, you keep the audience's interest, because having everything spelled out for you really isn't fun.

With the above example, viewers are left pondering whether what Yasuburo says is true or not...and to me, it's seems to make sense, especially considering the advice Alto gives to Ranka in this episode.

so...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
YWhile the movie may have it's differing aspects, it also has it's similar aspects. Honestly, the revelation of Alto's issues with acting in the movie coincides with Alto's character in the TV series, at least in my opinion. It's quite possible that it was made clear in the movie precisely because it was vague in the TV series. It doesn't have anything to do with the plot, but rather the character.
I agree. I believe the same materials have been used by the production team (Kawamori, the directors, the animators, the seiyuu) to create the same character, and this "fear of acting because he doesn't know where the boundaries between him and the characters he plays are" is part of Alto in all versions of the story.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2010-12-28 at 20:51.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote