View Single Post
Old 2011-04-20, 14:17   Link #235
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Hah. Someone else has good eyes as well I see.

This season may be the best one since spring 2007 for me. Even though that's not really saying too much considering 2008-2011 was pretty bad quality overall.
Yeah this has been overall a fantastic season. When there's shows I might want to watch but I'm not for the simple fact that I already have too much on my plate that's a really really good sign. I like how Zac Bertschy put it for ANNcast when discussing the new season, that it seems like the writing and the caring about how the product comes across in the early episodes is there again and that while anything can still happen it's definite progress made over the last couple seasons. I'd go a step further though and say that the shows I've watched appear to have been better structured and planned out overall than much that comes to mind in recent memory on the TV scene.

I for one definitely sense less of an attempt to wing it on most of the shows that caught my attention. Honestly it almost feels like the shows I am watching right now in Tiger & Bunny, Steins;Gate, Deadman Wonderland, and [C] are of OVA quality. Like they took their time with the shows development, made sure the hooks were there, followed up on the first episode with the second instead of going in a random direction, and dare I say even went for a bit of trans-continental appeal. It's always nice when there's a good chunk of shows that feel like they are made to be inclusive with their target audiences (without feeling messy, pandering, and thrown together, so much as carefully considered ahead of time) instead of feeling like they are made for one very specific niche audience such that you are either going love it or want nothing to do with it right of the bat.

I'd been arguing for a while that TV anime was getting so niche (which is weird since you'd think it would be the home video market that would have the bulk of the niche appeal shows) to the point where I wasn't sure how much longer it was going to be able to sustain itself (kind of the same way as how North American TV has seen the introduction of far to many specialty channels and has seen it's audience fragmented as a result, but that's a whole other story)....it definitely needed a season like this to halt the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I agree this season is mighty fine so far.

However there's still a lack of big blockbuster mecha shows. So things are not perfect ... yet!
Well there is Gundam Unicorn Volume 3 which came out during this season and has been dominating the sales charts so far, but I guess you mean TV anime. For that it looks like we'll have to wait and see what Sacred Seven delivers I guess.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote