View Single Post
Old 2008-04-01, 01:21   Link #290
b0nyb0y

To me, one important clue of how Shin feels about Noe is implied a while ago when Raigomaru used grumbling stomach as an excuse of not wanting to fly. At that point in time, Raigomaru's flight clearly represents Shin's romantic feelings for Noe. With Raigomaru's excuses came up for so many times, it can be interpreted that, unconsciously, no matter how many times Shin tried, he was still unable to think of Noe in such a way. So when forced to go all the way with Noe (i.e., to go with the choice he didn't choose, to do what wasn't in-line with his own heart), he hesitated.

Once Noe realized who Shin is in love with, and see hesitation from Raigomaru, she was frustrated enough to force Jibeta to fly, only to realize that it's no good to force her choice on others. Without making one's own choice, one will never be happy. She also realized that standing proud on the ground is no different than taking flight. Raigomaru and Jibeta both show their strengths in their choices. As they were true to themselves, there's nothing wrong in making either choice.

Witnessing the whole thing, Shin came to realize that making his own choice is the solution all his problems. Before, he just went with the flow and not doing anything to make situations better -- whether it's about his dance, his drawing, or his love. Thanks to Noe's words, he finally realized what to do.

And making his own choices indeed. Once his reflection inside the cupboard was done, he now had his own choices on all those areas pinned down. And the key phrases to signify that were all there when Raigomaru took flight:
It's not for the sake of others,
nor for the glory,
nor for setting the record,
Raigomaru took flight.
To me, it's this one short sentence that pretty much sums up Shin's choices regarding all three issues he has.
  • For his love life, he now follows his own heart. It's no longer "for the sake of others". It used to be that he "handed" Hiromi over to Jun because he thought that she'll be happy. And after seeing Jun protecting Hiromi during basketball match, he was taken aback that Jun might develop feelings for Hiromi. And in Noe's case, he cares for her happiness so much that he didn't dare to break up with her. All these times, he just looked outward and reacted without ever taking a really good look at his own feeling. But now, with all the worries of others out of the way, all that's left in the heart is his own feeling. With that moment of clarity, he realized his own choice.
  • For drawing, he now draws just because he loves it. It's no longer "for the glory". The drawings are no longer done just so that he'll gain acceptance from others. He won't feel down no matter how many times the publisher rejects his drawings. He won't feel bad when they pointed out the flaws (or "limitations") in his drawings.
  • For dancing, he now dances to the best of his own ability. It's no longer about "setting the record" so that he'll look good when being compared with his dad. He no longer cares about comparison. This year it's all about his dance, not his father's.
In short, his choices were made since the time he murmured to himself inside his room. And this time we see Raigomaru was able to fly. And that flight was achievable only because now it's Shin's own choice.

So, I believe what has happened for the last 12 episodes wasn't really about Shin's romantic feelings being swayed by Noe. From the looks of it, it's more about him being confused of how to "do things properly" in everything he did when he was so overwhelmed by others' feelings and concerns. It's always about "the sake of others", or "the glory", or "setting the record" that threw him off balance -- so off that he lost sight of his true choices and feelings. Fortunately, he found them all back.

Indeed, he was in pain parting with Noe, and rightly so, because Noe was the person who makes him realizing his own choices, as well as the person who supports him to follow his own will. There is no doubt that she's his inspiration. So when you have had such a memorable time with her, and yet you have to break her heart in order to make a choice that she just helped you realized, it'll pain you more than anything.

It's even more sad when thinking of the consequence of breaking up. As it stands, Noe already hurt physically and mentally. And the breakup will definitely hurt her even more. Shin was definitely afraid and guilty that he might end up making her unable to fly and unable to cry.

Besides, it was a sudden parting. They realized themselves that they grew out of each other, had their own wings, and will fly in their own ways. It's a real farewell, since (as golthin said earlier) this clean breakup is unavoidable. So when you realize that it's parting "forever" from here on out, it's not hard to realize how Shin felt when Noe turned her back and walked away. He definitely didn't want to part with Noe, but he already made the choice. If he could pursue his own love with Hiromi while being friends with Noe, I believe he'll go that route. And that's because they are both very important to him.

So, in short, I guess what I want to say is that I'm in agreement with those of you who said that Shin has feelings for Noe, but not really in the same sense as what he has with Hiromi. As has been iterated for so many times already, this kind of interpretation isn't done to downplay Shin's feelings for Noe. The feelings was indeed very powerful, and I would only be blind not to notice that. Shin definitely cherished his bond with Noe. More than anything, Shin valued her and indebted to her. It's just that I don't think his feelings for her is strictly as romantic as some of you seem to say...

Last edited by b0nyb0y; 2008-04-01 at 02:00. Reason: minor editing