Thread: Licensed Mouretsu Pirates
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-30, 13:37   Link #3340
Theo

So many conflicting emotions:

-Quite a cast we have here, with most development going to Marika of course, with Gruier, Chiaki, and Ai getting quite a bit. I was glad to see Marika and watch her character grow. I know there are times that I felt Marika was a kind of blank slate or didn't express strong emotions, but overall, I'm glad they didn't make her a weepy mess.

-Still, it's not as ambitious as the series implies it is, especially with the marketing and the themes of adventure and passion. There are plenty of things that they could do, things that excites the fanbase and fuels discussion, but still keep the tone that was in the first arc. But they don't take advantage of the vast, interesting universe the series is set in and settle in on mundane school and pointless cutaway scenes talking about...things. Say what you want about shows like Guilty Crown or other scifi animes, but they fuel a LOT of discussion and emotions, whether good or bad, because the world-building elements they introduce contribute greatly to a big plot. They even had some great things like the captain's UI or the corporate rebellion, except it's kinda just resolved or kind of just THERE with no further development.

Apathy is death.

I think the problem is also with the source material, so I can't blame the director for what he has to work with.

-Sometimes I think they have their heads up their asses regarding the importance of some characters and activities, like Gruier popping up all the time. Take episode 8 and 14 for example, a lot of things we didn't need to see or things that didn't contribute much at all like Gruier at school, the car ride, or the new crew member search.

-The focus is a bit lost when we have to switch back and forth between the crew and the schoolgirls. The biggest sin is not fleshing out the crew except for Kane. If you look at episode 1 through 26, which characters besides Marika grow or change by the time we reach 26?

-Please reduce the number of anticlimaxes, it's not helping the show nor is it that clever. There are many ways to have a logical/reasonable climax and invigorate passion in the viewers rather than just "oh, everything's okay".

I had fun watching the show and hope they take some criticisms to heart. And I hope that movie's not a recap, I want to see the 4-6 arc.
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote