View Single Post
Old 2009-07-02, 22:04   Link #171
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Neither of them hate the fans at all. They're trying to make this a memorable anime. It's like I said earlier -- the question they had to ask themselves is "how do we top a show that we seen as one of the best late-night anime of all time?" And that's a tall order. With Yamakan gone, Series Director for the first round, this probably changed things as well. I see this as them trying to prevent the show from becoming "yet another disappointing sequel" in the grand scheme of things. I think some people are annoyed now (because they have a countdown timer in their heads until the end of the second season they've been awaiting for so long), but in the grand scheme of things I think it will work out. If nothing else, you can guarantee that this will be remembered, emulated, and jabbed-at for years to come.
Do they really look like a studio with a plan?

It's mostly the novel readers who seem to be upset. I was a novel reader. I had expectations. Look where that got me. KyoAni just did what they do best - they took my expectations, and turned them on itself. Look what they've done to my precious knowledge of the original story with just a few writing touches and a couple of lense flares. No novel reader is surprised when the expected things happen. Nobody is surprised when things go according to the story, even if the story is surprising. If KyoAni tells us that an episode will feature Ryoko trying to Kyon with a knife, or Kyon traveling back in time three years to meet Yuki and Future Mikuru, nobody is surprised. Because it's all part of the original story. But when they tell us that one little chapter will be repeated several times, everybody loses their minds! Introduce a little unexpected something and everything becomes shocking. KyoAni has been good at shocking us. And you know the thing about people being shocked?

It's funny.