View Single Post
Old 2010-11-18, 10:13   Link #49
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
This was a very slick and well-done production. I believe somebody else mentioned one of the pieces of background music, and I agree that the background music in this episode really made everything feel epic, with a considerable gravitas. The anime did a good job of properly conveying the scale of the events of this episode.

I'm surprised that this episode isn't more well-received. I can understand initial dislike at Kanon's character, but her backstory and psyche is so well-developed and fleshed out, I'm surprised that more people weren't eventually won over by her.

Also, it's nice to see Keima's more tender side come out. I also think that helps to show that there's a tragic and very sympathetic element to his character, one which might be of later importance thematically. He goes through the process of helping all these different girls, and basically entering into short romances with them, and yet he has to say goodbye to all of them. I don't care how cold or cool a person is; that has to start wearing away at you emotionally, over time.
I do agree with that this was a very well made episode. I thought that this was the first time the background music truly shined in the anime, and I've liked how many of the scenes harmonized with the music.

And that's really all what I liked about this arc. The music and visuals in this episode. I felt that this story didn't need this long to convey, and it could've been told in 2 episodes had they cut down on trying to showcase her songs. Also, while she certainly received a great deal of time to develop, the amount of padding in between those moments made it very tedious.

Personally, I'm apathetic towards Kanon herself, but at the same time I disliked this arc. I wasn't sure why when I was reading it, but the anime made it clear for me. It's really a journey into a pop idol mind and I found it to be a very bland one. To me her story was about her ''not getting enough attention'' until Kemia pointed out for her all the fans who care about her and that she'll be disappointing them if she doesn't get a grip. It made her look very self-centered and for lack of a better word atm, bratty.

Kemia involvement was also something that bothered me. We noticed how he is showing more and more of an attachment with the girls he makes these brief romances with and is undergoing small bits of development to become a more empathetic person, but in this arc, his connection with the target is almost nonpresent. Kanon only noticed Kemia because he was ignoring her, and after she got what she wanted, it didn't matter to her if the two couldn't be together.