Thread: Joshiraku
View Single Post
Old 2013-03-06, 16:30   Link #312
Midonin
Last Engage

This is the last Joshiraku I'll probably get ever, so nothing to do but focus on it and... damn. That's exactly what I'm not supposed to do. Probably the most meta episode yet, with Kumeta making a rather lengthy on-screen appearance. The key thing I took from the first sketch is to not invite Marii to anything. Using metronomes to cure her rhythm made me think of this, though Marii falling asleep on a metronome's tune obviously removed some part of her soul. A little bit more. I mean it was pretty broken before this. Comedic pacing is important, and for a segment based on screwing it up, it itself had perfect rhythm. LOVED the Kamen Rider references. The scene shown looked to be a mixture of Black and Stronger, while Den-O got a more explicit reference in the third sketch.

The second segment was great. The Joshiraku girls being aware of their own voice actresses was a nice touch, and I was surprised at how knowledgeable Kigu was about the various manga publishers. More Kumeta, too, with the reference to his beginnings at a different publisher. The girls have paid respects to their animators, their publishers... I think there's no more lip service they can give.

The final segment (okay, so the OVA didn't acknowledge this as being an OVA like I thought) once again, had a lot of Kigu focus. And now I can't look at that word without thinking of the segment. Kigu's "focused" face kinda reminded me of how Naoe looked in Sengoku Collection. The reference to Acchan was nice, too. I don't think Kigu has the drive to become Center Nova, though, she's much more of a Sonata (on the outside). The anime "focusers" were also interesting, though as usual, I didn't sense any real malice. The barbs are saved more for the politicians, as barbs usually are. Nobody's calling Yui or Madoka or Kirito a "dictator." Also, to me, having the toilet and the bath in the same room is normal. Must be a cultural thing.

I wish this show could last as long as Zetsubou Sensei did, and maybe it will. But for now, I'm content to let it remain as a tight, extremely funny and somewhat cult classic comedy series. It's good to be off the radar.

Last edited by Midonin; 2013-03-06 at 20:34.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote