View Single Post
Old 2013-01-29, 14:21   Link #215
Snork
Twilight lander

Send a message via ICQ to Snork
Quote:
Why yall hatin on Spike's stuff? One less episode about the pony girls?
Why, yes! Every minute spent on Spike gives us less Fluttershy MOE!

Seriously, though, I like Spike and his episodes, they just don't rank as high in my toplist as others. Gotta like his snarky attitude, he usually does a good job being the local Kyon around Mane Six. But he also has his common sense slip-ups (not that it's a bad thing - like I said, I prefer a little OoC here and there to wood-carved personalities), and his own episodes are usually where he tends to act least logically. So, odd as it may sound, but Spike episodes aren't always where Spike does shine, IMHO.
If we're talkin' Spike hatin' stuff, let's wait till ep 12 and see why the hay Spike wasn't invited together with Mane Six to the Crystal Empire which he had played a big part in saving. In last weekend's episode, he complained about it himself.

Quote:
If the new episode in a few weeks promotes her to princess status I'm not sure how the dynamic between the characters will remain intact.
I don't think it will change significantly. It's unlikely that the authors will want to do something risky for the show's balance, and as far as I understand, they have control over what to do with the actual plot development. Hasbro doesn't run the show, their concern should be ending at "throw in this and this, because we're launching a toy line about it" (something we'd better be always prepared for, since nobody really canceled the show's advertising purpose). Remember Canterlot Wedding - Hasbro basically ordered a wedding episode, and the bronies rioted at first, too. Meanwhile, McCarthy went ahead and threw in all the changelings, invasion and fake brides stuff which resulted in an impressive two-parter with some action and some of the show's finest songs ("and it's still a better love story than Twilight", as memes claim ). And, a not very fleshed-out villain aside, they likewise did an impressive job on The Crystal Empire which was also apparently ordered as a toyline tie-in. So the point I stand at is, let's wait and trust the authors to pull this one off as well. Good luck to them.

As to how to preserve the balance... I just don't think becoming an alicorn will change THAT much. Even Cadence has yet to demonstrate a scope of powers comparable to the sisters (over 1000 years of experience can't be a thing to underestimate here), and Twi is even younger. I don't see her becoming a constant Super Saiyan just like that - rather, I believe she'll get a pair of pegasus-type wings (the ones we've seen her have in the rumour-igniting merch) and some boost in magic. Going by the finale's synopsis, she may also get some exclusive magic of her own, which she will then showcase occasionally, mostly in epic two-parters. In the show where magic doesn't solve every plot and where not even all the episodes feel obliged to keep Twilight in focus, I don't see a drastic change out of this. I don't even think she'll be demanded to leave Ponyville, let alone rule anything.

I'm more interested in the kind of new plots this whole deal can lead to. From the slice-of-life "Rainbow Dash teaches Twilight to fly (or tries to teach, at least)" to TEH EPIC DRAMA "Twilight in danger of going downhill with her new powers like Luna once did". Plus, I can't deny that I find winged Twilight 20% cuter.

EDIT:

Spoiler for DUN DUN DUN!:

Last edited by Snork; 2013-01-29 at 14:53.
Snork is offline   Reply With Quote