View Single Post
Old 2009-02-03, 07:39   Link #1916
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralTigerclaw View Post
I'll bite today.
Nice of you. BTW, how does it feel being bitten by a half dozen people simultaneously?

Quote:
I see a subtle stacking the deck setup.
Which you aren't trying to break.

Quote:
Only if we play directly on the assumption you propose to treat them exclusively as particles. But there is still a way around this by treating them as a self contained particle accellerator. If we drop back and observe 'It's magic'
Don't. Any hope you have for extrapolating anything meaningful from observation depends vitally on assuming it is similar to known principles. If you observe "it is magic", you won't be able to even convincingly demonstrate it is possible or impossible and without the ability to extrapolate or interpolate will be forced to say that anything that's not explicitly shown is not possible.

Quote:
like team Keroko would deliver in a heartbeat, it would be entirely possible that the sphrear of magic energy
Energy, because it is massless, goes at lightspeed. How will you trap it in a sphere? And don't say it is magic. And how can you create enough structure for a tool when all the luxons are flying around at lightspeed (in fact they can't go at any other speed).

Quote:
is combination storage and 'magic particle accellerator'. In which we then have the function that we don't even need a pump at firing time.
What particles is it accelerating? And an "accelerator" is functionally analogical to a "pump" - as a means to move particles around.

Quote:
Still, carrying on. If you assume that nanoha has to provide a feeding pressure for beam upkeap at the same rate in which the beam is discharging, it means she has to draw in, process, and forward that energy at the rate of discharge or it will immediately drop off to her rate of feed. If she can do that, there is no point to the beam's required charge up time at all.
In a beam of war situation, if she doesn't "upkeep" the beam as the same rate it is discharging, she'll lose the battle because the beam will collapse.

As for the charge up, what happened to incantation (even though its not said, the energy's conversion program is being loaded and formed up), in-body pressurization ... etc?

Quote:
I would not justify this scenario on the basis of the observations of divine busters show the energy to appear to collect in the sphere itself.
While I won't deny some percentage of the energy is in the sphere, note what I said about beam of war. Heck, if all the energy is really in the ball, it seems more efficient to just throw the ball at the enemy as you smart-assedly suggest below - say with a ring accelerator like plasma lancer. The fact this isn't done says something about where most of the energy is stored in Divine Buster.

Quote:
Short answer: "Hey dumbass! CATCH!"
OK, my mistake in assuming you'll try and answer intelligently. I meant controlled. Now try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralTigerclaw View Post
You are still failing to address the fact that the highest moment of energy and 'pressure' is the moment before firing. Not the firing itself. And we are clearly shown that she packs all the energy of her buster into a small area (the buster's sphere) in this moment prior to firing.
In fact, one could easily say this is a sign that most of the energy is not in the sphere.

Quote:
The only real potential hinderance I have yet to see anyone argue with is if it is actually safe for nanoha to 'depressurize' 48 times faster than normal.
Which I would then counter with, if she fires 1/24th, she's only depressurizing about twice as fast. (As if packing the whole six second event at normal size into a buster only half as long.) And even then, it would still be less strain than a SLB or B3 SLB X5.
Since you agree that there are problems in depressurizing, why don't you prove that it is possible to actually depressurize measurably faster than is canonically shown.

Quote:
People seem determined to prove that all of what Nanoha does has to be the most perfected form possible. And I have to throw down the guantlet and say that sure, she's an ace, but she's human. She's not perfect by any means, and that her buster's beam is not the most efficient use of her energy by two orders of magnitude. (Yes, two orders of magnitude. Because 960 to 1 is two decimal places, which is two powers of ten, which are known as orders of magnitude. But we know that.)
While as you know I'm the last person to just assume TSAB competence, what I find amusing is your ignorance of engineering factors in your headlong rush to proving that she can do it more efficiently by 3 (when you are at 960:1, it is a lot closer to 3 orders of magnitude than 2) orders of magnitude (by the way, IIRC you asked for 2m to be compressed to 10cm, which is actually a 400 times increase in density, and then 48 times faster, which means you actually originally asked for 19200 times, for nearly 4.3 orders of magnitude improvement). In the meantime, you don't even seem to realize that Power is no substitute for energy. While if she can improve power density by a factor of 960 she would be somewhat more efficient, the gain will depend sharply on the situation, and will be far less than 960 times in virtually any scenario. In fact, for various applications, concentrating too much energy on one point is actually counterproductive, which is why JHP amunition, which actually decrease pressure is popular (and being banned from using JHPs, militaries try to make tumbling and fragmentating ammo to get the same effect). And why for the same megatonnage, you can cover more area with many small bombs, and also why submunitions are so well liked...

Last edited by arkhangelsk; 2009-02-03 at 07:57.