View Single Post
Old 2009-02-03, 08:30   Link #1919
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Hmm, slight disagreement on major healing magic. It's still very considerable in power. Erio's broken arm would have taken about four to six weeks to fully heal naturally, if I recall. Vice was even unconscious in a bed, as was Zafira. Yet, merely one week later, all three of them were fighting at top level, Erio even a notch higher then top.

It should also be noted that Zafira and Vice were still bandaged and in cast when they left the hospital the day of the final battle, yet showed no sign of injury during their fights.
Note that when I said "major", I was in this case not so much referring to ability than process. Yes, accelerating the healing by a factor of as much as 10 is pretty impressive, but if they had that pseudomatter healing technique I mentioned, hospitals would be extinct in Midchildra.

Quote:
And on small healing magic, since they are particles that radiate, doesn't that make the effect energy based still?
Well, it can emit something similar to beta particles, which aren't energy.

More seriously, I won't deny that magic has energy (without energy, scientifically you can't do anything, and since magic can obviously do something...). It also obviously radiates energy (at the very least, it glows, which would be rather difficult if it doesn't emit light). What's important however, is that it is emitted from massive particles, otherwise we'll have all kind of problems with containemnt and the like.

Quote:
This also makes me wonder, if they are particles shouldn't that make it impossible for our mages to create Devices? After all, if they are particles, and generated in the body, then making a device should mean an equal amount of particles disappear from the body.

Imagine Raising Heart being made from Nanoha's right lung. <_<
Amusing, but it seems clear that the particles of magic are all around us. Those "informative sources" even says the linker core absorbs and stores them. It is pretty difficult to "store" luxons.

If anything, if they are energy in the scientific definition, it'll be quite impossible to get the mana to coalesce into anything remotely physical looking.

Besides, if they are really energy and you can't get it externally, you'll have to wind up annihilating part of your body to get energy, so that's not much of a solution there either.

Quote:
It's an entirely different form of energy, putting aside the maximum speed it can achieve, magic has shown to being able to achieve a large variety of speeds from hovering to fast moving bullets (Vice in 26, if you want an example) therefore,
Yes, and that's the main thing that makes one conclude that whatever magical particles are, they must be massive. Massive particles can have any relative velocity - in theory they can even be tachyons (on the other side of the lightspeed barrier). Massless particles scientifically have one speed - lightspeed. I guess it would admittedly solve the "instant" problem, but I don't thing you can even imagine MGLN with all the beam attacks moving at lightspeed.

Quote:
and combined with the large variety of effects it has shown to be able to achieve, (cloaking, healing, damaging, solidifying, flying, shielding, transforming, telepathic communication, jamming, teleporting, changing into a variety of ellements and what have you) it has already shown not to apply to the regular laws that apply to most common forms energy.

In short: It's magic.
Let's see. Cloaking (which is really blocking of LOS - go hide behind something), Healing (look at your body), damaging (your rifle), solidifying (your fridge), flying (plane trip), shielding (which is forcefields, remember we are mostly forcefield anyway), communicating (what is your radio for), transforming (look at your kid, he changes shape every day), jamming (look up EA-6B Prowler) and teleporting (there is such a thing as quantum tunneling and the like ) are all things possible with things made of massive fermions, as long as you aren't greedy about it. Doesn't that make you feel more hopeful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralTigerclaw View Post
Different principles of acelleration between the typical 'pump'. In this case, packing more fluid in to force fluid on the other end out. Where as a particle accellerator uses magnetic fields to draw the 'magic particle whatevers' in a loop until they reach intended velocity, and are then held there until the loop is opened and they fly clear on their own velcotiy.
Different mechanisms, but similar end effect, moving of particles - given that we don't have real clues about a magical accelerator's mechanisms, only the desired effect, nitpicking about mechanisms seem cheap.

Acceleration itself is a pretty meaningless concept for massless energy, because acceleration implies a change of speed, and energy only has C.

Quote:
So if she can fire the energy continuously, what does she need to charge it for? What would she need cartridges to decrease the 'charge cycle' if she can provide a continuous conversion stream for the duration of the shot?
Read about pressurization as mentioned previously. And I don't necessarily think she can fire the beam continuously - certainly she won't fire it all day. but for the 5-6 seconds until beam termination, she can, and the cartridges can easily help her do that.

Quote:
Not relevant. With a computer doing the work, the incantation pattern would be near instantanious. The computer on RH is fast enough to have real time active semi-sentience. Mathematical manipulation formulae wouldn't even register as processor loading.
You have real time active full sentience. I'm sure this means that means you are fast enough to handle this simple formulae:

183473790413413704374374032147204^2

Quote:
It is clearly a charge cycle as the introduction of cartridges shortens her time to fire. And we are told explicitly that cartridges are compressed magical energy. So we KNOW they provide explicitly an energy boost that cuts the charge time out.
See above.

Quote:
Considering my point about cartridges neutralizes your point about beam O war...
Theories are not about "neutralizing". My theory easily accomodates cartridges. Yours choke, which is why you think about neutralizing.

Quote:
It really does seem more efficient to throw the ball, which is what I suggest anyway by turning the beam into a bolt. (A bolt's really just a fancy name for a fast moving ball in this case.) The ball is the buster energy, delivered all at once, in a small nasty package.
And the fact that they 1) have small bolts, 2) Divine Buster is not a bolt suggests engineering reasons for why not.

Quote:
The point remains to take the energy she wastes delivering to a two meter wide surface over six seconds, and pack it down to a nice bundle of energy and smack the target with it all at once rather than drawn out and very inefficient beam.
That's if you assume that there are no engineering limitations to how much you can compress an attack in time and space, despite problems in containment, maximum energy flows ... etc.

Last edited by arkhangelsk; 2009-02-03 at 08:49.