View Single Post
Old 2004-02-13, 01:04   Link #46
Iridi

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
Seiryuu, that is an extremely good summary of Onegai Twins - good job! That is exactly why I say that I don't understand at all why "incest" would bother people in that show. Nothing ever happens, and it's totally unoffensive; it's certainly not "about" that, as you say. Again, good job on the summary - very well written!
I agree, the thought that family togetherness might be affected by the breaking down of incestual barriers is an interesting take.

The reason why people complain about Onegai Twins' incest rests in that the series attempts to break down our own barriers. It is the same with homosexual relationships in many such shows as CardCaptor Sakura, Fruits Basket, and more. I compare these because the themes are both sexual and at least more or less taboo still in society...

These anime are portraying incest or relationships very close to them, and homosexuality, in a positive light, which in turn makes us question our own beliefs and whether our own barriers have been built correctly.

These social taboos are certainly there for a reason, be it genetic, social, and/or familial, and to have them challenged is simply uncomfortable.

For me, watching Onegai Twins was disturbing for the above reason, especially when added to it were all scenes depicting the two little girls naked, a probably attempt to ridicule/question the lolita taboo.

At least anime hasn't tried to paint rape as a positive thing yet, unless you watch lots of hentai... which DOES paint rape as a positive thing, which has led to train molestations and more... perhaps not directly, of course...

The worst part of Onegai Twins was the simple fact that it was just not well done. Things were handled poorly, the story was in the end not closed well at all (how the * did they figure out who was the twin?), adding to the mediocre middle, and the characters just whined far too much about the same thing over and over, to the point where it became a nuisance mantra and made them seem extremely bland and one-sided. "Are we related? But maybe we're not related" Yegods!

To try to handle such a complex theme so poorly trivialized the whole social taboo theme, and in the end made Onegai Twins just a plain bad anime. Otherwise there'd be a lot more controversy instead of obscure whining about the incest issue.
Iridi is offline   Reply With Quote