View Single Post
Old 2011-04-05, 04:15   Link #943
Zero1
Two bit encoder
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
And even when it comes to b-frames , isn't using b_adapt=2 and a low amount of b-frames preffered over b_adapt=1 and 16 b frames?

If you think that's bad it makes me wonder if you've seen this thread , even if it's a few years old.

What I really wonder is what's the concencus on mbtree?I see some releases that use it,others that don't,some groups will even switch back and forth and it really does seem to impact the file size.
That was funny. It must be a troll encode because I've never seen anything done so wrong in all my years of encoding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrdb View Post
What seems really stupid dto me is taking a dvd source and encoding it at 5.1 with 16 reference frames. At most you need 4 ref frames. I did a 1 gig encode of an old vhs feature that was 55 minutes in length at 4.1 with 4 ref frames with the ac3 audio from the vhs to dvd transfer that I did myself. The originial transfer was 4 gigs at about 9 megs per second. It came out excellent.
Well let me put it another way. Is there a reason not to use 16 reference frames for SD material? SD takes less time to encode, therefore you can automatically afford to use better settings than you may do with HD. Also let's not forget that a large number of reference frames is almost a free upgrade. The only cost to the leecher is extra ram usage.

Also how do you guys feel about keyint infinite? I had a specific problem a few years back when I was encoding some Street Fighter vids I captured from an emulator. It looked pretty much perfect but partway through the video there was a notable shift in quality, where a new GOP was forced and an I-frame was inserted since keyint XXX was reached. The only way round this was to put in the largest keyint I was allowed. The video was 2 or 3 minutes long and the background stayed mostly the same but it would pan left and right and sometimes up, all of which was easily predicted by x264 and wasn't a large enough change to be considered a scene change and therefore a smart place to insert an I-frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
Fansubbing is dead, there's no point in trying to improve it anymore. Also, it's effort, and I don't watch anime myself anymore so I don't really give a fuck. Even if I did, pretty much everyone who's still fansubbing is basically 14 years old and/or dumb, and trying to educate that kind of people isn't on my list of favorite tasks.

Re: bigger filesizes, I think the simple explanation is that people got used to better quality. If you look at the 230MB 720p encodes from a few years ago they really don't look all that good and most of them are really fucking oversmoothed as well (since everything was a reencode of a reencode back then).
You pretty much confirmed what I suspected. It makes me want to get back into the scene and try to do something but it's one man against a million. A lost cause as you suggest.