View Single Post
Old 2006-10-23, 20:51   Link #291
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoia833 View Post
A
*I'm quite possibly reading to much into it, but my current opinion is that the show seems to be likening Japan to Iraq, suggesting that America is using
the anti-terrorism and the spreading of democracy as a cover for outright Imperialism (the logical progression of this argument being that America is practicing a doctrine of 'civilising' the world similar to the British empire). If that's the case... well I won't derail this thread with the full rant but while I'm probably just as critical of America I've got to say that's a rediculously simplified and in some respects unfair assessment of the Iraq crisis.
Although Producer Takeda has expressed strong criticism about Iraq situation, this time around, he says in Code Geass he's loosely relating to the situation around Japanese occupation of Taiwan and Korea right after WWII.
However, since he has repeatedly commented on his dislike of America, it's probably not entirely coincidence.

But we all have high hopes in Taniguchi to play it off as just a setting gimmick, and create a great anime.
That man has never dissapointed me. Ryvius, Scryed, Planet-es, Gun x Sword... all masterpieces.

Last edited by aohige; 2006-10-23 at 21:32.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote