View Single Post
Old 2006-07-06, 21:31   Link #169
chiisai_nezumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris
Anyway, that applies to importing to the U.K., someone from the U.S. will have to supply the exact details of how different it is to import into America.
I am a frequent importer who lives in the US, and I've been through physical customs as well as mail. Americans are rather fortunate in that books, CDs, DVDs, and other media are considered duty-free. The same process is followed in terms of the Japanese company putting a declarations sticker on the box, but I have never been charged by customs for mail, and according to the customs officer who opened my suitcase and examined the 170000 yen worth of CDs, DVDs, and books I had, they were all duty-free. American customs is also very lax, they have never opened my mail packages.

Note: there is no reason to order in small amounts; I have ordered packages with over $350 in combined value and not had them opened because the outside sticker read 'Gamesoft.' Keep in mind that American customs is allowed to block the entrance of 'obscene' materials, but this is very rarely enforced.
chiisai_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote