View Single Post
Old 2009-05-02, 10:44   Link #1272
Nerroth
NePoi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
... That's the case, isn't it? Zouken dies in the other two routes, so Sakura lives a happy life. Hell, I daresay that if it wasn't for not getting Shirou, her part of the ending in UBW is better then Heavens Feel, as even Shinji is redeemed and starts being the older brother he should have been.

Where is it confirmed that Zouken dies in the other routes?

(If his consciousness is tied to the presence of the worms - which aren't even known about, let alone removed, in either Fate or UBW, part of him would remain, even if the rest did not.

And even if they weren't, they would still need to be removed, if she wants to have anything approaching a normal life.)

And quite frankly, I don't forgive Shinji so easily - years of abuse do not vanish overnight just because he'd now feel sorry about what he had done.

(As a further aside, I'd argue that he may well be doomed, as Kiritsugu was, due to the Grail exposure - which I wouldn't shed a tear over, frankly.)

Oh, and I might also add that I don't believe that Shirou is the only man on Earth with whom a free Sakura could find happiness. He may have been an important aspect of her life at a critical time, but even if he does end up with Rin, or pine over Saber, Sakura need not be left to live out her days alone.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
If this was aimed at me, you have probably mis-read my post. What I was saying that the way the story tells it, Sakura did not succumb to the corruptive powers of the grail because she was weak, she succumbed because she chose to.

And 'the deck being stacked against her for a long time' is not really a valid excuse considering that in the other routes Sakura has zero problems holding this at bay, even though technically this corruption you are suggesting should have pushed her over the end faster in the other two, as Sakura ends up seeing Shirou stolen away from her. So why didn't the corruption send her off the deep end?

Quite simple, because in the end it was Sakura who chose not to succumb to it.
But in the other routes, she did not have Zouken using her as the Shadow, targeting other Servants (and civilians) the way he did in HF, stacking her full of the sorcerous energy required to eventually let her summon the Grail, and the increased exposure to the burgeoning malevolence within the Grail System to match.

Rather than the chronic, yet relatively low-level, exposure that she suffered otherwise, Zouken had her 'activated' directly this time - and it took its toll.

And by the time Sakura and Shirou actually got together in HF, the cat was out of the bag - whereas in Fate and UBW, Shirou never found out what Zouken had done to her, and had no Shadow to contend with in those timelines (and no associated deterioration of Sakura's state of being).

She was in a far better position to retain control in Fate and UBW, but was pushed over the edge in HF.

Last edited by Nerroth; 2009-05-02 at 10:58.
Nerroth is offline   Reply With Quote