View Single Post
Old 2009-01-10, 16:32   Link #3
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post
Fast h264 encoding settings?

I just want to encode my anime quickly so that I can get ti doen faster. I don't mind a bigger filesize if the quality doesn't degrade too much. This is the commandline that I get from megui:

program --crf 16.0 --level 4.1 --ref 5 --mixed-refs --no-fast-pskip --bframes 3 --weightb --deblock 1:2 --subme 5 --partitions p8x8,b8x8,i4x4,i8x8 --8x8dct --ipratio 1.1 --pbratio 1.1 --vbv-bufsize 24000 --vbv-maxrate 24000 --qcomp 0.5 --me umh --merange 12 --threads auto --thread-input --aud --progress --no-dct-decimate --no-psnr --no-ssim --output "output" "input"

Basically, I want to get almost "transparent" quality from my encodes so I use CRF 16 and I don't use Trellis since it's CRF and I don't care about filesize. I don't see any difference in quality between Subpixel Refinement 5, 6 or 7. Lastly, I set Adaptive B-Frames to 1 - Fast and B-Frame Mode to Spatial since iI'm encoding animated content.

Are my eyes missing something? I don't see how going above (not below) Subme 5 or M.E. Multi-hex increases quality and I don't see the benefits of Trellis except for Two-Pass and a lower filesize.

Are there any quality benefits in settings like Trellis, mode 2 B-frames, and higher Motion Estimation values?
Quality and bitrate are equivalent. 20% higher quality at the same bitrate means--equivalently--20% less bitrate at the same quality (roughly).

If you just need fast encoding, try:

--qp 18 --deblock 1:1 --subme 1 --partitions none --me dia --no-cabac --threads auto

Also, seriously, stop adjusting ipratio/pbratio/qcomp. Leave those at defaults. And don't use VBV when you don't need it! I can't figure out why people keep messing with obscure settings--do they think that the developers are dumb and can't pick reasonable defaults or something?
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote