View Single Post
Old 2012-07-16, 11:07   Link #1251
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
But he still cared about her. He expressed regrets to Silica about how he hadn't been able to tell things to his sister. And that wasn't the first time he mentioned his sister, either.

I've read a few of the sidestories, but I haven't gotten past volume 2 in the main, so I can't talk about what may have been revealed later on, but it seems pretty clear just with what I have read that he views certain girls as imouto-like characters, and tries to protect them in honor of his own sister.
Exactly. Asuna was the only exception to that rule.

That rule very much governed the way he behaved with Sachi, Silica and even Lizbeth.

The queer thing is that even though the romance aspect has been so much praised, I think the side stories made it clear that for much of Kirito's time in Aincrad, his main psychological focus was to find some kind of human contact to fill the gap in emotional need he felt with regards to his Sister/Cousin we see in First Day.

Asuna on the other hand, interacted with Kirito on a whole different paradigm from the rest of Kirito's so called "harem." Have you noticed that most of Kirito's "harem" in a certain sense were stand-ins of sorts for Sughara?

So yes, even if Kirito had distance himself from his sister (it was implied though, there was a time a mere few years before SAO where they were closed), there was fundamentally an "Imouto" need that First Day captured very well that influence Kirito's behaviour significantly until at least Black Swordsman, if not Murder.

The thing is, he never ever really filled the gap well. He found something better to transcend beyond it - Asuna.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote