View Single Post
Old 2013-01-13, 13:40   Link #55
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
It's not personal, because I've seen a lot of people do it. I just will never understand why people do it, no matter who it is.
I think it arises because a handful of individuals are compelled to demonstrate their opinions are valid through the same mannerisms as they would when trying to defend a thesis statement of sorts. The idea of making bold claims and backing them up works when there is solid evidence to evidence such a claim (e.g. "It is clear from the relationship observed in the Smith et al. study that increasing the incubation time of E. coli results in a higher transfection rate using the FBPA plasmids...").

However, in anime and its related matters, "evidence" is restricted to things that explicitly happen within a show (e.g. "YuruYuri featured a school play depicting Snow White"). Any discussion about these events is restricted to opinion (for instance, A may find the school play funny, while B may find the same play unoriginal). Thus, regardless of any reason and logic we may choose to field, at the end of the day, it's still an opinion because there is no right way to view something. This is why there are fields dedicated to the interpretation and analysis of literature: even experts may see things differently and consider dissimilar aspects of a work to be significant.

As such, different people draw different conclusions, resulting in different opinions about what they might walk away from a particular scene/work/creation. This in part makes reading the different opinions amusing as well, as I gain insight into what the individual sees, but I never view it as "A is right and B is wrong". Thus, I would not regard anyone's opinion as being more correct/valid/important over anyone else's (and as such, you're also free to ignore my own speculated account on this phenomenon )