View Single Post
Old 2012-06-16, 19:48   Link #3446
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I shouldn't really get into this... but if I may step in for a moment?

I'm not seeing how the Freedom's melee abilities are supposed to be inferior to the Destiny's. The Arondight does not make it superior; it's a bulky, overly-long sword with a beam blade that's overall shorter than the full blade of the weapon, and its size means that its attacks are easily telegraphed and therefore easy to block, easy to avoid, and easy to counter. Remember how Kira caught the weapon and then blasted Shinn in the face with the railguns to give him a wake-up call?

If you have to compare the melee capabilities of the Freedom and the Destiny, then you'll need to look at the beam boomerangs when they're in saber mode--and at that point, the Freedom and Strike Freedom are just about even, if not in its favor due to the combination form of the weapon, which is a bit more dangerous to a mobile suit than an anti-ship sword.

Keeping this in mind, the Perfect Strike is unnecessary for gauging how well Kira would do using the Destiny Gundam. Do you recall when Shinn used the sword, the cannon, and the wings (and the hand cannons and the boomerangs and fuck-all else it was equipped with) all at once when he used it? Oh, right. He didn't. Just like Kira didn't; he only used one form at a time in the Strike. And as far as high speed+sword or high speed+cannon weapon goes, Kira's gotten plenty of experience with both using the Freedom.

Frankly, the only real way you can prevent Kira from doing well in the Destiny is if you put a damn pilot lock on the thing so that only Shinn can use it. And the only damn Gundam series that have been smart enough to do that is Gundam Unicorn, Gundam 00. And at least Gundam X and Gundam AGE were smart enough to make the Gundams unusable without the damn ignition key.