Thread: Feedback Anime Suki's Spoiler Policy
View Single Post
Old 2009-11-11, 19:59   Link #25
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedFreedom View Post
Seriously? Hearing "So and so is important" is going to ruin the whole anime and make life not worth living and you have to complain and neg-rep and report like your life is over now? Ya, maybe that's a tiny bit of information about future events, but is it really really that big of a deal? Hell just seeing the damn character in the next episode preview should tell you if they are semi important or not. (I know some people avoid the next episode preview, but its not defined as a spoiler in AS). And to clear this up, i have seen post literally saying "Person A will be important" being bashed to death and demanded to be punished. not anything with a hidden message or subtitle hints or "Person A will be the key to event B" or anything like that.
If it's really ridiculous, PM the mods your opinion. And say it in this thread of course. I wouldn't disagree with you either, as I said I recognize the restrictiveness of it as well. I would still agree on the removal, but warnings and punishments will be way overboard (though you said "demands" for punishment so I assume it's not the initiative of the mod?).

But depending on context "Person A will be important" can be spoilerish. Standalone, that's overkill. But conversations don't exist in a vacuum. A hypothetical example would be something like:

Poster X: Whoa, big cliffhanger! Looks like we have a turncoat in the gang.

Poster Y: I'm guessing it's Person B, C, or D.

Poster Z: Person A will be important.

Bang, spoiler. Sure, Person A might not *be* the turncoat, but the one who will out the turncoat, save the gang, whatever. But it's information that an audience of the show would not have otherwise known without this pre-exposure.

Quote:
Its things like that which make people put absolutely everything into spoilers in the first place, creating the original problem. (Which is according to the mods, and not people complaining about spoilers. But to be honest i think most people don't care in a bit about pages of spoilers but are merely complaining about it so they don't accidentally run into one UNDER A SPOILER TAG WHICH BASICALLY GOES UNUSED because they don't know how not to click a spoiler tag with, duh, spoilers! now which makes a bigger problem.)
Did you not read the explanations earlier? There are degrees of severity, and spoiler tags *are abused*. Some idiots don't label big spoilers properly, while some people err on the caution and hide not-too-spoilerish information in their spoiler tags (I do it too for manga threads on newly scanned chapters that just got released, with the format "Ch XX, just in case"). This can create a problem of the spoiler tag inflation, which means I might be contributing to the problem here, but I'd rather be overly nice than be a bitch and ruin someone else's enjoyment of a show.

I don't blame the victim. Sure, it could be a "compulsion" to click a button you "shouldn't click," but I'd argue just the same it's also a compulsion to tell people what you shouldn't tell. No thank you I don't need to know Character ABC died in Episode 23 because you [not you, SeedFreedom; general you] would like to feel l33t and superior for downloading and watching the raws and wasting your time getting obscure spoilers from Japanese magazines.

The mods wouldn't need to be this highly restrictive if people are clear about what's in their spoiler tag (e.g. "Big spoiler from episode 23"); they're not. Separate spoiler threads would still be useful of course, but leeway could have been given much more if people recognize that simple courtesy.

Quote:
I will also disagree with you and weather you have watched it or not, once an episode is released, it is no longer a spoiler. Etiquette says that if it hasn't been translated it should be in tags, but it is not defined as an actual spoiler. So if somebody says "so and so died" and its out in the anime, its not a spoiler.
Depending on the location, it can be a spoiler.

Sure, the thread on the last episode of Code Geass will have big discussions on the big things that happen in the last episode of Code Geass, and we don't need spoilers there -- as is already the case -- but it *is* a spoiler, and I *am* going to report it and bitch about it, if this information is in the thread of the first episode of Code Geass, or some other unrelated thread completely. By the way this really big event happened to one of the main characters of Code Geass in the final episode, didn't you hear?

There's also a delay time between release and download and watching that will have to be taken into account. Nobody catches up right at the moment the fansub's finished and released.