View Single Post
Old 2009-12-08, 08:42   Link #149
KanonTheFurniture
Witch's Golden Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchiha Soul View Post
* If he knew that it belongs to Maria .. then the question is who gave him this plush? Is it Rosa or Maria .. if its Rosa, it might be another Sakutaro .. if its Maria then it might be the same torn one .. bcoz we are not sure if its complete or not so there is a chance it might be the actual one (the torn one) that Maria brought it with her and put it here before the departing.
Knowing Maria, and that she has brought Sakutaro to the conferences in the past (hence Ange being able to deny him), there's no way everyone wouldn't know about him. Even if Rosa was irritated by her constantly playing with him and making him talk and whatnot, don't you think that she'd be going around with Sakutaro and playing and talking to the relatives with the toy? No doubt everyone would know about Maria and her plushie. I think the same can be said for the captain. I can easily see Maria making a fuss playing with Sakutaro on the boat trip over, so if he saw that same unique lion toy, there's no doubt he would know it belonged to Maria. In which case, yeah, he probably kept it after the incident for a specific reason.

I remember in the VN when he's talking to Ange he stresses that he wants her to come back safe, because his closure is that he was charged with bringing the family to and back from the island which didn't happen...kinda eluded to in the Anime as well, but not as bluntly, but either way this says that the Rokkenjima incident means a lot to him. In which case, if he held onto Sakutaro for some sentimental reason or 'unfinished business', then yes, he should know full well that it was still back there even if it has been 12 years since...and should have either A) offered it to Ange or B) at least known what she was looking at (though her reaction was still like she saw a ghost, so I stand by the fact that he might assume that she's seeing something else that he can't see...like a witch).

But all that hinges on Sakutaro being a unique stuffed toy. If he found it he would have to have remembered Maria playing with it, because that's just the kind of kid she is. Remember all the convenience store people? Maria became well known in that area because she was going to buy food every night when Rosa was away, and everyone remembered the loud, happy little girl and her stuffed lion. Wouldn't the captain remember the same? But if Sakutaro was actually a manufactured toy, maybe not. Maybe he'd associate it more with his own kids than with a girl he ferried to an island once or twice (yes, I know she went to more than that many conferences, but not with Sakutaro). So if that Sakutaro in the bag wasn't Maria's Sakutaro, then yeah, maybe he wouldn't connect the two. Though if that were the case it raises questions as to why Ange thought of it as 'magic'...was she that much younger than Maria (3 years) that she wouldn't remember a fad of popular lion plushies at the time? Or maybe it was a market product, but not some super popular thing and it's just a coincidence that Kawabata has one in his shop? That'd be kinda weird. If it wasn't the Sakutaro, I'd have to think that those lion toys were really popular, or it'd just be way too convenient for him to have one as well.

All in all...yeah, I got nothin'. But I stand by what I said...with the kind of girl Maria is, if Sakutaro was truly the one and only lion toy of his kind, then I can't imagine how Kawabata wouldn't remember that poor unfortunate little girl who died in that massacre. He'd have to connect the lion to Maria. It makes more sense that this would be a reason for him to save the toy in his shop, too (if it was something of his own children's, for instance, wouldn't it be in his home instead, and not stuffed in a random bag in a back room?), so he has to know the plushie is connected to the incident if it's the only Sakutaro. Which just makes it very confusing as to why A) he kept it and it didn't get distributed to the survivors and B) why he couldn't guess that it might be what Ange was looking at.

This is kinda why I always thought the 'what Ange saw was Sakutaro' theory was stupid, because I can't make sense of it...turns out I'm the stupid one, since it's true. Dammit, DEEN.