View Single Post
Old 2012-09-20, 18:56   Link #105
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
i disagree. take the politics at the kage summit for instance. or tobi's discussion with sasuke about joining akatsuki where he flatly asks sasuke's intentions knowing full well that they are opposite of what itachi wanted. those were thought provoking discussions about major players in an upcoming war. not exactly 12 year old material there
Frankly, you are vastly underrating children.

Children are not stupid. They understand much of the world around them (especially once they reach 12 or so). So, claiming that the simplistic politics of Naruto is too mature for them, or the vague (if not outright disingenuous as moral platitudes abound and false equivalences are made right and left concerning amazingly complex problems and situations) discussions between antagonists and protagonists is too adult or serious, is simply untrue. And, it is mostly untrue because Kishimoto never makes the complex dilemmas to difficult to solve (he knows he is writing for a 12 year old audience, so he dumb downs, often too much, the story for his preconceived notions of the intelligence of 12 year old kids).

Honestly, your entire argument is based around the initial assumption that Kishimoto wrote Part II for his fans that had grown up with the characters (the 12 year old that are not 25, etc), and while I am sure there is some amount of truth to that statement, it simply does not work as a business model. Kishimoto does not write for a niche audience, he write for a general audience (kids, generally boys, 12-15), consequently it is very unlikely that Kishimoto is writing for an more grown-up audience, even if they started as young fans. (Kishimoto undoubtedly tries to use the Pixar method of storytelling: childish stories mixed with slight adult humour and situations.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
all i can say to this is that you sure talk a lot about something that in your own words is childish and simplistic... to me, any form of literature that raises this much discussion simply is not childish and simplistic
To be fair, the majority of discussion concerning the series is versus discussion, romance discussion, overall critique of the series, entertainment/action, and then finally focusing on the so-called "mysteries" (quite honestly, besides the chapter threads, much of the discussion concerning Naruto has little to actually do with the actual story).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote