View Single Post
Old 2006-01-04, 16:45   Link #210
Moon Eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh
Not enough genetic variation. Ever heard of the term "consanguinity"?

And a stupid point it was.

But they explained that "better" was based on genes rather thn accomplishments.

Exactly what do you mean by "it"?

When I was a kid, I had near perfect grades in both maths and physics. Who could say in which I was "better"?

And while I didn't have perfect grades in French, I was at the top of my class. Does that tall you I wasn't as good in French as in science, or that the way we were graded was different?

There is nothing to indicate that such feats of control are possible in the CE universe. Or that they wouldn't make the subjects crazy. (Just look at the extendeds...)

I can't turn off the sun. I'm pretty sure it's not just a matter of "trying".

And while one twin is in the hospital relearning to wiggle his toes, the other's training.

And I'm:
- having serious doubt on the feasibility of controlling the environments (remember that you'll need a lot of them, because you'll want many different people, and different people react differently to the same environment)
- not sold on the uselessness of looking at the results of your genes and "controled environment", and instead just looking at the genes.

You don't get it, do you? Genius isn't an a priori thing. Even if you clone a genius, the clone won't be a genius until and unless he actually does somethign deserving of the name, in the same way a murderer's clone won't be a murderer until and unless he actually murders somebody.

It's the same for less impressive statuses such as competence. You aren't competent at your job until and unless you're doing your job competently. And yet Destiny Plan would grant you the status solely on the basis of your genes. Of some obscure notion of "potential".

That would be because we have more people, and pay more attention to such thing. Cucifixion is an atroicty nowadays, not a normal punishment.

I'll base myself on something I know better than the history of Rwanda. Not that it's saying much. Western Europe. Compare the medieval times, with its constant warfare at both the international and local warfare, and now, where, despite being much more free, don't spend all of our time making war on each other.

Or we've got so much leisure time to think about things we actually came up with the notion of social disorder. Whatever.
That doesn't apply to genetically perfect beings. Consangity only applies because we're genetically imperfect and we need large genetic diversity for those things to be covered. The idea is hole in one genetic strain will be covered by another genetic strain that may be holes in areas the first genetic strain have covered.

The point is that he didn't want to create the perfect person to replace people. He wanted to create the perfect system in order to allow people to satified even with their genetic diversity and flaws.

Your idea is that things going from good to bad. But things evolved for the "better" thus it's called evolution not de-evolution.

Which one does he get 100% in and which one does he only get95% in? If you hypothetically put in him advanced course which one does he do better in? If you put him in higher education courses which one does he do better in?

You were best in your class in french. Were you the best in you class in science? If not even if you're good a science, there's someone better. You're going to french because that's where you can help the world the best since everyone seems to suck there, you will benifit the world the best by helping expand a field which is underdeveloped.

Obviously Gil didn't agree with you our he wouldn't have tried.

Turning off the sun? That's easy, just artifically burn it out. The science if something you had to develop by trying

Regardless of how you feel, people and society try to control however much they can of their environment. Parents try to put their children in the right "evironment" make the proper home "envirmonment" to to raise them.

But naturally agressive child because he has a body that produces too much testosterin. Will still be naturally agressive because his body produces too much testosterin even as a clone. People will elavated chemical imbalances that causes conditions will still have those conditions as a clone.

If you raise the same genetic copy in the exact same conditions and teach him in the exact same way. Nature and controlled nuture.

The Destiny plan talked about genes being a factor. I never heard anything to make me think that it excluded all other factors. To put people in the jobs they are best suited to do based on genes. I think Gil's smart enough to know people still need training. If as in the extended they can manipulate memory. Then they can change your conditioning as a person. Your 'nuturing'.

The is more order in this day and ages Europe than the middle ages. People in power aren't as free to abuse their power as they were in the middle ages. War is more controlled
Moon Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote