View Single Post
Old 2012-05-20, 13:22   Link #85
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
Kariya's situation is bad as well, i guess the wish of saving Sakura is what kept him staying alive
You mean Kirei's wish of seeing him suffer is what kept him alive, right?

But yes, Kariya's motivation after everything that's transpired, and especially after he learns of Tokiomi's fate, should be interesting. If those flashing images of Aoi, Sakura, Tokiomi and Zouken in his mind are any indication, I would say his colossal failure in making any sort of difference thus far is finally getting to him. Despite going as far as sacrificing his life and his body, he wasn't able to accomplish anything but force Tokiomi to waste one little Command Spell. And when faced with the man himself, he was completely overpowered and humiliated. Those things are clearly getting to him now, probably further polluting his already plenty spite driven mind.

Which is why I'm curious to see what course of action he will be taking now. Will he realize his lack of ability to make a difference and give up, or will he use the power-up he received from Zouken to make a final stand and, perhaps, finally accomplish something? And will said stand be driven by his initial positive feelings or the negative ones he's come to develop along the way?

Whatever happens, I do hope he gets some good character moments. I loved him to bits in the first episode, but he's been a little too much of a perpetually whipped dog throughout the course of the war, and tragedy in of itself doesn't make for a compelling character. He needs something more to make his pathos truly resonant and his character truly effective. Now obviously I don't expect to him to save the day or anything, since he clearly won't (especially not with Urobuchi deciding his fate), but I do hope to see a shining moment or two from him before the end.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote