View Single Post
Old 2013-01-13, 01:38   Link #65
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Call me a boring person but I like maths and had some free time and actually went through review scores on myanimelist to check my theory. At first I counted them as they are and then changed most of 3-5 to 1-2. Occasionally I would switch 6 to 3. Everything else remained the same. Even with those tiny changes score had dropped by around 0.4. On there show would instantly drop by like 340 places and that's a massive change.
This exercise is fatally flawed, though. If you did this to this one show, you'd also have to do this to every other show. And if you did the same exercise to every other show too, chances are the overall change in placement would be negligible. You can't just make this adjustment to a show you dislike and conclude that it's rated too highly because critics aren't being sufficiently harsh. You also have to do look at your favourite shows and come to the very same conclusion. In that sense, your point is sort of moot, and the validity of the placement (not the number) is preserved, so the argument about being "rated highly" is basically as valid or invalid as ever.

That being said, I agree with Aphrah in the sense that there are dozens of factors I'd consider before the rating in terms of considering what to watch. And, if I were to choose my anime to watch based on their ratings/score, I'm fairly certain that I'd dislike most of it. So, at least from my own point of view, ratings aren't very useful for determining the shows to watch at all. I suppose it's possible that people use ratings to determine what to watch, but I haven't heard of many people claiming to do that (or at least doing that for long).