View Single Post
Old 2009-08-07, 20:07   Link #63
cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Other people have called him a knight. His self-image is more in question. Mostly, he sees Lawrence as a bad man - because he thinks Lawrence is using the debt to force Horo to stay with him. OK, he's wrong. But that's naivety, not malice.
Good point, he doesn't necessarily see himself as that (though I suspect he does).

Quote:
Or maybe he did it as retaliation because Lawrence was a "douche". He's supposed to be a knight, not a saint. There's also the fact that he sees Lawrence as a "bad man". Last point to consider: maybe Amati should be taken at face value, and really did it as a courtesy. We're seeing it as an attack because Lawrence does, and the scene is from his point of view, but what's the truth of it?
I guess I'm just disappointed that he's not a saint. I had a good initial impression of him, and it saddens me to see him get down in the dirt of trying to show people up.
However, I doubt the courtesy angle. He is supposed to be a savvy merchant, and he's throwing away ~30 silver on courtesy. This is apparently enough to buy 30 breakfasts. In today's terms, that's maybe $300. If you only had 800 silver ($8000) total, would you blow $300 as a courtesy to someone?

Quote:
Honestly, I feel bad for Amati. He's sincere in his love for Horo, or rather, the lie crafted by her. He does all in his power to help her out of a situation she deceived him to believe she was in. And what does he get out of it?
This is why (all talk of blasphemy aside) I do partly blame Horo for this situation. She shouldn't have led him on with a story like that, which is essentially made of lies. If Lawrence had just pocketed the 1000 silver as originally planned and walked off, I would have had a sick feeling in my stomach.

Quote:
I checked the novel translation.
Spoiler for Novel. Lawrence and Amati's deal.:
They really should have included this in the anime somewhere. Seems like an important thing to leave out.