View Single Post
Old 2008-01-21, 21:13   Link #61
DX HBK
I'm the Showstopper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taelrak View Post
Pheles is awesome (compared to the rest of the cast so far that is)...

She manages to sum up the entirety of everyone in one sentence upon her arrival:

Wilhelmina: an old friend (which is of course her role to everyone else in every single situation in the past and now)

Margery: a spellcaster who doesn't care to see anything other than her objective

Shana: a hunter who indulges in her friendship

Yoshida: a single-minded, foolish girl

If the writers could have such awesome brevity, why didn't the apply it for an entire season+12 episodes?

Too bad her vision is so narrow...she'd be awesome if she had more perspective.
Well, Pheles's actions might very well give an inkling to what her true character is. Though what she'll do next is... well... I'd rather not say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
This episode was more or less average as the pace of events was quite fast, but the episode pace itself wasn't exactly balanced (the start was really draggy, to say the least).
I wonder if they are doing another budget episode. It isn't as silly as the infamous "wow teacher" erratic character design, but the traits were overly simple and disproportionate, with very dull colors and such.

Wilhelmina's lack of cautiousness was a bit strange: she knew that pheles had such avatar spell, but she didn't expect that until it shows up... Well, obviously it might be not obvious to expect that, but seriously, some doubt would be preferable.
Now, the real cringe session was the complete lack of reaction from the crew when the avatar exploded, and pheles enters in the stage...
I mean, why are they waiting like... 45 seconds (20:51 => 21:36) like bunch of sitting ducks? They didn't even try to do anything when Pheles went psycho extracting on Yuuji?
I would expect Shana as hotblooded/hast to jump on the gun, but no, nothing...

The last scene was quite nice to deal a shocker and reversed situation, but seriously, the whole episode wasn't exactly flowing well.
I think they faltered from their original primary objectives due to distractive new ideas and redid things at the last minute, hence the drop in animation quality. Perhaps they've lost balance on how to add some stuff from the light novels in tandem to making original content.

Budget episode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverFunk View Post
Oh wow. Can't say I saw that coming. I mean, the Pheles thing was in the realm of expectations, but after that, wow.

I was dissapointed on how Pheles had seemed to give up so easily on 13, then she more than made up for it on this episode.
Deception seem to be the core of Pheles's game plan. Besides, it was her avatar that appeared first.