Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (movie & TV)
View Single Post
Old 2011-07-06, 09:27   Link #6
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I've seen that. If that had something the resembled a plot it would have been good, and the backstory seemed alright. The designs...eh, could have been better (in fact the previous model (flashback) Yamato looks nice verse the one in the show). The weaponry and effects were good (massed shock cannons that basically act like an old model Wave Motion Gun is good). And like in the Yamato Rebirth movie, the Earth Fleet was not exactly useless for the major fight scene. I did not like the big squared gun turrets of the Earth Forces and the 18th Yamato though...just didn't do it for me (the squared of barrels of the 17th Yamato worked though).

Probably what hurt most was that the plot for Yamato 2520 was to be helped by Yamato Rebirth...and that didn't happen until 2009. But I liked that movie for the most part (the music in the second half seemed off, but I think the Music Director died during production). I loved the new effect/weapons Yamato gets. Not only the new barrier missiles, but the new Wave Motion Gun would be godly in the table top game of this series. A Six Shooter Wave Motion Gun. The EDF ships also look alright (even if they are starting to trend towards Yamato 2520 designs) Blue Noah looks like a good ship, and the design lineage to the 2201 Fleet is clear in the rest of the fleet. (though it is odd that the EDF now has only battleships...there are no cruisers or destroyers anymore).