View Single Post
Old 2009-04-23, 22:29   Link #4
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
I fall into the UK 9% minority who don't really care much for this event to be honest.

Out of the British Isles, it's also the region that has less media exposure or even global exposure (compared to Scotland, Wales or Ireland)

There are tooooons of political issues spawn as a result of this, one of which sadly is the influence of small extreme nationalist parties who blame the 9% (us ethnic minorities) within England for 'eradicating' this holiday since other cultural festivals such as Ramadan, Chinese new year or Dwali get more exposure and money invested by local councils.

Thing is.... they're kinda right, but I wouldn't be so quick to blame 'us' for it; ethnic minorities aren't limited to just England, but it is the least "cared about" patron saint out of the four.

Well I'm a Londoner, so it's a seperate world from the "Shires" of England. Countryside wise, they probably reserve this a lot more than us city slickers.

In my eyes from the start, Ireland, Scotland and Wales just always have had more 'culture' than England anyways.

PS: Kimmy, I know some Scottish and Welsh peeps offline who'd be offended that you're calling an English holiday a British one, esp when they all have their own patron saints, lol.
But for Asuki since we're a gross minoirity as a nationality on here, tossing us all together should be fine

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote