View Single Post
Old 2011-11-07, 19:21   Link #9
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito_Kinomoto View Post
I will readily admit that my expectations for Kami Nomi II weren't exactly stellar, as though the first season was enjoyable, it wasn't at the point where I thought it would warrant a sequel.

The improvements were few, but were significant.

I often rant that the biggest problem with the first season is the predictability of the heroines, something that the follow-up has managed to address to an extent. A character will either not fit into any particular mold, or the mold itself is so elaborate that you could liken it to a maze.

However, the biggest surprise was the modicum of development given to Elsie. We see a relatively serious side to a gal who up until this point was just a sidekick, find out a little more about her background, and are consequently introduced to a rather interesting twist for a character foil in Haqua. Her debut also brings in the thought that the task of capturing the Loose Souls may not be as easy as Keima deducing the route for a heroine, and given the information she divulges, it is perhaps a sign of a continuing narrative that could be around the corner.

And unfortunately, after being teased with the possibility of an overarching story, it's something I'm looking forward to for the third season. Kami Nomi looks to be getting better, but there's too much potential to simply pass up.
Am glad you enjoyed it Akito!

Do you follow the manga too? Or is that medium "not your cup of tea"? Part of what makes the two TWGOK seasons so well done (for me at least) is their faithfulness to the printed source while adding in little tiny "extras" not in the manga to emphasize or bring out aspects of the characters that were not so clear.

Anyway - you might consider giving the manga a try if you have not already.