View Single Post
Old 2012-11-11, 04:19   Link #18
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceral View Post
As a VN reader, I uh, have no idea what to think. I'm baffled by this episode, and feeling rather emotionless, when I know I should be feeling a lot more. I don't know whether it's just me or the show, maybe it's me from already being spoiled by the VN I'm thinking... so I tried to imagine myself as an anime only viewer and whether I'd find this episode truly absorbing and emotional or just lame, and I don't know which it is. Ultimately I am a VN reader though and I must say it wasn't as impactful as I had hoped, so I guess I must side with those who are a little disappointed, maybe it's just my mood or what? It just doesn't seem like Riki's frustration and worrying is quite getting across. Komari's plight seems kind of trite? It seems like it should be a big deal, but I'm not feeling it
I felt the same way about both versions of the story.......ineffective and artificial, with the writer trying to create melodrama without a good reason. Once again, the anime was a slight improvement for me, simply because it was more compact.

Perhaps the original was more effective for you because of the narrator's introspection, which can be a tool to manipulate the feelings of the reader. Nevertheless, Komari's plight (along with Riki's solution) remains the same. The anime presents it as it always was, albeit with less time to sway the viewer.