View Single Post
Old 2012-12-15, 19:18   Link #84
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
It just makes Kayaba's presence in ALO absolutely non sensical, even moreso his ability to support Kazuto.
I think it is deliberately non-sensical (at least from what we're supposed to be able to devise), and the show basically admitted as much with Kirito's comment in that scene. I think it literally is Kayaba as a sort of manifestation of the "god" of this world, seeing how corrupt his "disciple" had become and stepping in to restore order to chaos. His passing on The Seed further supports this sort of "god-like" allusion, and his passing on that power to Kazuto ("for you to use as you see fit") plays into that as well.

So while I'm sure that it would be possible to come up with some sort of rationale how it could have been technically possible (i.e. he and his Heathcliff persona were actually residing inside Kazuto's NerveGear waiting to be activated if needed, and he did that at the moment of his disappearance from SAO? Could be... but not supported by the text...), but I don't think it's intended as fundamentally logical. It's a lot more about symbolism. It literally is "deus ex machina" (the god of the machine), except for the fact this particular god was already known to us and known to be the creator of this world and this whole thing is a call-back to a previous plot point.

(Perhaps someone could argue, in a twisted way, that the whole point of this story arc was a moral about realizing one's powerlessness without "god"? Not sure if I totally agree, but I'd read that essay...)