View Single Post
Old 2010-08-28, 14:47   Link #1010
TehChron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
That's the most immediately obvious answer, but I'm not sure that's it all by itself. That's the answer which most readily hurts Lyon, much like how the Tea Party hurts Ange. They were put there as spectators for a reason. To say Beatrice was "killed" by the non-existence of Yasu (well, so to speak) is a bit misleading; it doesn't make the concept of Beatrice cease to exist, it just changes the legend.

I think there's something more to it, because of that epilogue. That book in the coffin and Battler's brief presence at the beginning and end could be a hint, though he didn't really speak of Beatrice at all in the epilogue. Though it might be interesting if his answer to "who killed Beatrice" is somehow different from Will's.

Not that I'd fault Will. It's a correct answer, and clearly the one he was intended to reach. But that's my problem with Will generally; he reaches the conclusions he's clearly meant to have been reaching from the start. They follow from the evidence he's been presented, but I sort of feel like he's not as critical of the evidence as he perhaps could be.
Unlike Battler did, Will has no reason to really doubt the evidence presented before him.

Sure he may not like it, but he's not really in a position where he needs to be too critical of what he's presented with. I suppose thats just laziness.