View Single Post
Old 2007-05-07, 19:42   Link #79
Fevvers
a regular van veen

This is a good anime, I have to admit, but I honestly can't say that this is stellar by far. The first half was exquisite, the atmosphere was quiet and serves as a perfect backdrop for the honest and subtle dialogues and emotions the characters were trying to convey. I liked how the sci-fi part was purposely toned down so that the movie can focus on the characters themselves. The voice acting sounds natural, something which most voice actors/actresses seem to lack today.

The second half of the film though, I feel, just wasn't for me. It lacked the grace and subtlety the first half had, particularly the scene where Chiaki was saying goodbye to Makoto in the middle of the road, it seemed forced, as if a completely different person made that part. As for the ending scene, well, let's just say, silence speaks volumes; I think it would have been better if Chiaki didn't say anything, the hug and the headpat would have been enough accompaniment for the mood that scene was trying to deliver.

Ah, well. I suppose you can't have them all. Still, not bad. Could have been better, but not bad.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote