View Single Post
Old 2011-12-03, 09:42   Link #132
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Okay, this movie was very much inferior to Shinkai Makoto's other films I've seen, Hoshi no Koe and 5 cm/s. But consider how those two movies were freaking awesome, it doesn't really matter.

Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo is a solid fantasy adventure movie. The plot's nothing to scream over, but it's acceptable.

Spoiler for spoilery stuff:

As with Shinkai's other films, the art and animation is pure bliss. They added well to my enjoyment. Shinkai's style worked quite well for action and adventure.

And am I the only one who found Asuna to be really cute? Okay, she isn't a strong character, and her primary motivation should have been made clear earlier in the movie, but her bubbly effervescence was at least exciting and pleasant to watch. Kanemoto Hisako's voice worked like magic for her.

By the way, how do you abbreviate the name of this movie? Hoshikodo? Children Chase Voices? Both Japanese and English names are a little long to mention in normal conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Now I don't think this quite matches up to Shinkai's 5cm by any means, but I thought it was a rather excellent film that pays nice tribute to the Ghibi style while adding in a huge flavor of Shinkai in the mix (Really this movie was very Shinkai from the background visuals to the themes present, it was all him).
You could say it is a Frankenstein's monster of Miyazaki and Shinkai. The movie worked fine for me as well, although I can see why some people may not think highly of it.

Last edited by Tempester; 2011-12-03 at 09:57.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote