View Single Post
Old 2006-10-07, 00:59   Link #45
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Wow, the height difference for (k)Yuuichi is pretty significant compared to the Toei one. Although I kind of liked the uniqueness of Toei-Yuuichi. It's weird, but this one seems LESS sarcastic, which I wasn't expecting, . He didn't give that snarky line about Nayuki's track teammates being snails that I was anticipating...

I have a lot of emotional attachment to the Toei presentation, and yeah, I really thought the frog clock was important for that one Nayuki scene near the end of the story, but we'll see how it goes. I can't deny Kyoto's sakuga animation can't be beaten, and the backgrounds are feature film-quality, as to be expected from them. Some of what they are doing feels a little more heavy-handed somehow, but I dig a lot of the details that weren't in the early Toei version like the origin of the name "Ayu-ayu" and the mention of the barley field the school was built over...it's awesome they have 26 episodes to work the story out this time, and perhaps deal better with the multi-branching stories of the original game better this time around.