View Single Post
Old 2013-04-20, 03:27   Link #1027
theflyingturkey
Swordy Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
It wouldn't be just Eren who "didn't get the memo". I didn't either.

I don't mean any disrespect to Hajime Isayama, but the theme of fighting against hopeless odds, which plays on Japan's perennial siege mentality, is hardly rare in manga or anime. Just last season alone, both Psycho-Pass and Shin Sekai Yori played on similar fears, the idea of something pure being lost to an unstoppable, barbaric foreign intruder. It's a familiar theme that recurs constantly in Japanese history and literature, very likely inspired by a nostalgic longing for a simpler time when Japan could apparently be self-sufficient, could live on its own terms, could keep out indefinitely the corruption of the outside world.
Just coming in to pitch my two cents.

I never got the vibes that AoT is supposed to be playing on the Japanese mentality or the theme itself was made for the Japanese to relate better.

It really just seems to me the the mangaka wants to tell a story about a world where humanity is up against impossible odds. There's nothing remotely 'Japanese' about the story. (At least that's what I see.)

In no way were any of the characters characterized with Japanese values whatsoever, just universal human values.
theflyingturkey is offline   Reply With Quote